Monday, September 21, 2009

Different Ideas



OK, no specific theme today. Just a few different ideas I want to share with everyone.




Yesterday we went to visit a town about 160 Km away from Indore (~100 miles). On the way there we passed by the largest, main Indian Army Base. This structure is at the entrance of the base. Isn't this a beautiful quote? "When you go home, tell them of us and say, for your tomorrow we gave our today." This is by an Indian poet whose name of course I don't remember. Another picture that reminded me of the 3 firemen at the WTC ruins lifting the flag.


Part of the road was actually pretty decent. But of course sharing the road with the cows and the goats and the scooters... it took us about 2 and a half hours to get there.

More pictures of the trip are posted on my FaceBook page.


The coolest part of the trip was seeing the Narmada from up close. I actually put my hand in the water. Ever since my visit to Mandu and hearing the story of the queen Roopmati (the one with the beautiful voice who used to sing to the prince from her roof top and had only agreed to marry the king if she could see her beloved Narmada every day?) I've had a secret wish to see that river one day. Well, I did! So that was yesterday to Maheshwar. Lot's of first for me and lots of wishes being answered :-) I am eternally grateful for that.

OK, a few words on school. More and more I am realizing that the expression "Teaching to the test" was made to describe the Indian education system!! There needs to be no thought put into the job, it feels sometimes. As the First Year Veteran :-), yes, I have a lot of preparation, but the preparation is practically all in looking at the curriculum and making sure I cover everything that's going to be in the test! You come in, dictate to the kids what they have to know, they take notes, they study, for the most part, and everyone calls it quit! The passing score is about 30-33 %. I am confused! I don't believe in this. I am a firm advocate of an inquiry-based curriculum. I hardly do any cook-book lab with my students. Here, they prepare in advance in their lab notebook, the 4 or 5 labs they are expected to do in the year, and one day when you get to that part in the curriculum, you check their notebook that they have the recipe, take them to the lab, which is completely set up already by the lab assistant. They go in, in about 20-25 minutes they follow their recipe, collect their data, and it's done! How do they learn? What do they learn? Does this system work? The data say yes. I don't understand. I know I am not impressed. There is the other issue of tutoring! The terminal classes, they miss school a lot, but their parents are paying a fortune for private tutoring for the sacrosanct exams!! At Daly College, I am told flat out that they have a back up system for me!! Not taking a chance that I might not know the actual test questions therefore not teach the right stuff!! I don't mean the actual test questions but the right style of questioning! It's insane! But it works for them. So for that I have great admiration for them. I just don't understand how they do it. I am glad it is only for a short while I've got to do this. Maybe if all my life I was brought up in this system, I would believe in it. Now I don't. All my work with the Frontiers program would be for nothing then. Now I am more than ever committed to continue my research on comparison of the various educational systems -US, France, England and now India. I'd like to see long term effect. Yes they go on to college, and are successful. What percentage does go on to higher education, though? How do they compare with their University counterparts from the US?
OK, lots of interruptions today, so my talk might be a bit disjointed. Have to stop now cause it is already 10:30PM, almost past my bedtime. Will continue another day.
Today was a holiday. Finally 2 days off in a row!! School is six days a week here! My first Friday back I intend to have the biggest celebration ever! TGIF!!!

1 comment:

  1. I agree Isabelle.... its insane. I still don't understand the system myself though I am a product of this system. When you start thinking the system no longer has you in its hold. The system works for those who don't want to think, to apply 'to search for the truth'.

    When the truth doesn't matter then the system becomes sacrosanct, it sustains your control, your power over the students because you know how to work the system.

    I can tell you for a fact that the system does not work. But what do you do when the teacher is in a state of 'denial'?

    I'm reminded of a quote by Bertrand Russell;

    "We are faced with the paradoxical fact that education has become one of the chief obstacles to intelligence and freedom of thought.”

    This is our problem.

    What is the Frontiers program? Can you tell me more?

    Rajesh Santhanam

    ReplyDelete