Thursday, November 12, 2009

Any entomologist in the house?!

OK, where I come from, which has more or less the same weather pattern as here, one waits for "winter" not because we are wanting to see snow or pull out the fur coats, but because the pesky little mosquitoes are gone!! More than the slight drop in temperature that we get, we wish for November to March for the lack of buzzing sounds that can drive someone trying to sleep, absolutely bunkers!! Well, here we are in Indore, beautiful cool weather (I've seen very interesting ways of wearing a sweater over a saree these past few days!), no more sweating so profusely that one looks like one has just gone under a fire hydrant, clothes that are put out to dry do so in just about a day because no more extreme humidity. But I tell you it is as if we had moved to the heart of the Everglades in the middle of July when it comes to "God's mistake" ("Oh! God" Georges Burns -God- said the seed of the avocado was His one mistake, I say "mosquitoes are His mistake!) I have always thought that the cooler temperature, the eggs of the mosquito would not "hatch" (I am only pretending to be a science teacher!!) and that's why they disappear during our winter. So can a REAL :-) science teacher explain to me why the inverse occurs here. I am told actually that in May-June when the temperature soars in the 3 digits here that's when they get a break from mosquitoes!!!
A world upside down!

4 comments:

  1. I posted twice from iPhone and it didn't work. Sigh.

    Anyhoo. Love your posts, Isabelle. I see a part of India that I never imagined.

    And re Kalhil (sp) report on the solar stoves, why don't they use that in Haiti?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that Post a Comment is fickle!!
    It's been an incredible experience for us. And I have loved sharing it with everyone. It has made the time away from home much lighter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Isabelle,
    There was an artilce about you and your wonderful trip in today's Herald. That's how I found you. Missed you at Church.

    Congratulations and thanks for sharing your trip. I read your past blogs and viewed the photos. India is lucky to have you as their guest expert teacher.

    Not an Entomologist, but happy not to have mosquitos now. I did see one yesterday. :-)

    Happy Trails,
    Cecelia Jones

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wasn't that nice? A past student of mine who is doing an internship at Miami Herald wrote it! Isn't she lovely?!

    ReplyDelete