Tuesday, August 18, 2009

First Impression

OK, first India impression?  The plane was highjacked and we landed in Jamaica instead!!  How did Roma and Xavier not tell me this?!  Could be the driving on the WRONG side of the road! but that was definitely both Kahlil's and my impression!  The recommendation of reading "The White Tiger was incredibly appropriate... the street book venders! the drivers!  the hotels... you name it it was there.  Delhi is a city to behold.  Couldn't live there, though.  Too busy and noisy!  It is judt busting with life everywhere, all the time! Today and yesterday were a little more quiet, though... why?  The Rickshaw drivers were on strike!  and those, my friends are to be reckoned with around here.  So France doesn't have the corner on strikers, as I thought!  
We had some interesting guess speakers these past two days, preparing us for the next few months.  The Fulbright staff, USIEF (United States India Educational Foundation), the US Embassy put out their best foot forward to prepare us for all eventualities.  Hopefully all will go well.  One thing is for sure, every one we met was very welcoming and the foreigners (Americans or ...) wouldn't give their spot for nothing in the world, was the impression we got.  So, looking forward to a wonderful experience.  
At the airport now, waiting for our flight to Indore... and life in India will really start! 
Kahlil is sure is a positive addition to my trip.  Nothing puts him off!  "Kahlil, it's going to be very hot."  "Yeah, I can't wait!"  "Kahlil, security is a great concern." "Yeah, I can't wait!"  "Don't eat any fresh fruit and vegetables" "Yeah, I can't wait"  Life is really just a bowl of pitted cherries for him.  :-)
OK, I have to stop.  Will continue when I get HOME!

2 comments:

  1. will you have the opportunity to visit the bahá'í House of Worship in New Delhi?
    Moro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we actually have a very extensive visit of the Lotus Temple the first week of October. we'll be in Delhi 6 days. also part of the visit will be the Taj Mahal. Looking forward to this trip. All of you will be in my mind. Salut!

    ReplyDelete