Friday, August 21, 2009

First Year Veteran.

How can a 22-year veteran feel like a brand new teacher in the classroom?! Send him/her half way around the world and it will happen! This is exactly how I felt yesterday and today. Wonderful experience. Nothing better to force you to evaluate what you are doing and put your teaching in perspective.
I wish I had Mildred's verve or Jean-Claude's commands of words who can tell you a precise thought or idea in just one line. I, on the other hand, will have to go around and around to explain to you my total awe at the Daly College! Morning Assembly, mind boggling! A huge auditorium of 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th graders and you could hear a pin drop. First the prayer, then yoga meditation. Words fail me to report the reverence in those young persons! Without any more prompting than the "bell" ringer, everyone's eyes closed canting, ummmmmmm! ummmmm!! I could only stare at the audience tears streaming down my face! Then students presentation (today two students presented their experience in an exchange program that they had participated in.) At the conclusion of their talk, the principal had a few announcements. Tomorrow is casual dress day. Anyone who wishes can dress casually for the wooping cost of 60Rs. (that's about $1.3) Fundraising for an organization of which I am forgetting the name now, but they purchase material for school and hospital construction. I was right back at CRHS then, hearing Mrs. Leal giving parameters for the "casual dress idea"! Plus ca change, plus ca demeure pareil!! Incredible. Then the vice-principal simply had to announce the order in which they will be leaving the auditorium and it happened. 10A boys, then 10A girls, 10B boys... Nothing had to be repeated because you could hear him wisper the number!
Had two classes today. All went well.
Got to go! Meeting with my colleagues.

1 comment:

  1. Isabelle

    I love your blog! Of course you were warned that the teens would be well-behaved, but even so, it is amazing! Meditation before classes? That must be a better use of time and more beneficial then the one minute of silence in public schools!

    ReplyDelete