Friday, August 28, 2009

More about DC

Last week we had a much more elaborate tea time one day. It was announced that the reason for the party was to celebrate one of the Faculty member who was blessed with a child! Isn't that a lovely idea!! :-)
On Wednesday there was a quiz competition among the different Houses. They had to answer questions form different topics, Current Events, Arts, sports, science and technology, and a few others. At the end of the competition, the Head Teacher in charge of Cultural Affairs commented to the audience how in the past 30 years he's been around the results to the quiz es have lowered. And he was right. I don't know how much they knew before, but I wasn't too impressed by their knowledge. Not worst nor better that I would have expected from our students, I think. Also I say the same about my teaching back home. I am not sure in my case what the issue is. Is it that we are expecting less and therefore they are giving less back? Why the lowered expectation? Questions for me to explore further! Any comments would be appreciated!
Teaching here is not an easy task. So far what I can say is the system is certainly not better than ours in the States. It is very different. I will definitely continue on this topic again and again.
Now I have to go. Tea time soon and I have to meet with a teacher who might be making me some of the beautiful clothes the women wear around here!! Hooray!
After lunch today, the school has arranged a trip for us to Kahajuro, where there are many beautiful temples it appears. We are leaving at 2 to Bhopal to get there around 6-7. Then an overnight train (Slumdog Millionaire here we come! Ever since I've seen that movie I've been fascinated by those trains!) We'll be back on Monday evening. So till then everyone.

2 comments:

  1. I am happy to see that the kids are not "perfect" in everything! Your schedule is a dream! The shocker is that you are drinking TEA and apparently liking it! Have you forgotten about Starbucks already! OMG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. not in your wildest dream!! My favorite days are Tuesday and Friday when coffee is served!! No, Hilde, no fear, Starbucks still hold a string to my heart!

    ReplyDelete